Thursday, November 6, 2008

Portrait of Poppi

I did a sketch of a little girl named Poppi. Her Grandmother has a blog that I read. When Poppi comes to visit Grandmother sometimes posts pictures of this sweet little face. I couldn't resist making an attempt at catching the joy that Grandmother catches in her face.

I was a little heavy handed with teh shadows. This I was disappointed in but overall it is ok. I tried a bit of color in her eyes and on her cheek. I have never put color to a portrait I have done. Her eyes was about the only color in the photo I used as reference.

6 comments:

Teri said...

Oh wow, she is beautiful and you have captured that little face so wonderfully. It is full of happiness.

I need to tell you one thing and only because someone told me. Don't put every tooth in, just the faintest hint of teeth because our eyes will fill in the rest. I tried that and it makes such a difference.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I had never heard that tip before. I really would like to take a class about drawing portraits. Especially using color. I wonder how you decide which teeth to eliminate. ?? I am sort of like the proverbial monkey - monkey see monkey do. tee hee...

Dots said...

You are an amazing artist... I was just looking in wonder at the pictures you have posted... beautiful!

Julie said...

very nice! I like the teeth!

soulbrush said...

the eyes are truly gorgeous and make the picture.

marianne said...

What a sweet girl and what a cute name! The girl has a soul, so I think you have succeeded! I think people are very difficult to do.