Friday, February 27, 2009

Texas Trip - Day One

I am so happy to report that we are home. We had a marvelous trip. I got several birds that I had never seen before. We hadn't been to the Valley in 6 years so it had changed quite a bit. It is amazing how populated and clogged with traffic it is now. The birds don't seem to mind. So I had to have a mind change and just disregard the noise and traffiic and enjoy the beauty of the region. The Lower Rio Grande Valley, well actually most of Texas, is in a dreadful drought. It was so evident with the naturally brown landscape looking dead except where peopl have access to good water. This is my first page in the journal. Our many hours of driving. UGH.. I don't know if we will drive down there again. It was a long.... long.... drive. We drove 3178 miles. I did enjoy the drive for the most part. I did a little sketching while driving. Mostly I sketched in the hotel at night. Even that dwindled off toward the end of the trip. I got worn out. I have lots of ideas for sketches though. I will start posting my sketches day by day.

It is so good to be back. I will get around to eveyone's blog soon. I must go now and get the car unpacked.

9 comments:

Teri said...

WELCOME HOME! Geez, that is a LOT of miles! We drive 2000 to get back and forth from Arizona and it just about kills me.

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Can't wait to see and hear more!

Doesnt your own bed feel good?!

Q said...

Dear Lisa,
Welcome home!
I am so glad you are home, safe and sound...it is a long drive.
Looking forward to your sketches and hearing all about your trip.
Sherry

marianne said...

Glad you are back!
I have missed you! And all your lovely sketches, lucky for me you have a few in store for us!
Happy you had such a good time!

Can imagine being in the car such a long time is tiring.
Enjoy being home again with all these beautiful memories!

MuseSwings said...

Welcome home! What a trip you had and new you get to enjoy your own pillow once again. Love your journal and journal pages!

soulbrush said...

my goodness that went so fast. holidays alwasy do. i missed you friend. welcome back and yipppeeeee can't wait to see all your stuff. (i could never do all that driving i would hate it.)

Julie said...

Oh my gosh, Lisa...just rest a few days before you start posting!!! Glad you got back home safely, and had a wonderful time!!!!! I missed ya!

Unknown said...

welcome home, looking forward to your sketches. I relate to the dwindling of sketches while on holiday too. It happens to me most times, even with the best intentions!

Margaret Ann said...

Wow...that's a lot of miles there my lady!!!! Love the inclusion of the maps in your sketch journal...What a trip! :) Welcome back home...we all await your artistic goodies! Rest up 1st! :)

steviewren said...

welcome home! I love the way you journaled the journey! Glad to have you back. I can't believe how far you drove.....my backside would have been aching.