Friday, March 6, 2009

Texas Trip Day 4 Continued

I debated wheter or not to post this page from my journal. It is all writing. We had such a fun time at Bensten State Park. It is a marvelous park that used to be wide open for all that wanted to go to and from. Now it is still open but in a more "managed" way. You have to park outside the park, then either walk or take a tram into the area. There aren't as many birds reported here since they have done this. People used to park their trailers there all winter and put feeders out etc. You had lots of chances to find rarities. I didn't mind the park being like this but it is limiting if you wanted to see the entire park. I imagine that the wildlife loves it this way. The most fun was to see the Great Kiskadees displaying their golden crowns. Not only were they doing that the were becoming territorial. Fighting for certain perches and positions at feeders. I was wanting to draw and paint this scene but I couldn't quite get the fight scene to land on the paper. Instead I settled for one showing its crown.
A good day for sure.

11 comments:

Q said...

Dear Lisa,
The Great Kiskadees are so verbal... I enjoyed watching them too. The state parks look very interesting. Next time I will work them in. The LRGV has so many great birding spots.
I love this painting in your journal...the crest is cool.
Sherry

ArtistUnplugged said...

Another interesting road report! Love the painting!

soulbrush said...

what a pity it has affected the bird population. when i read these posts it is one of the rare times i wish i lived in the country, i do miss seeing birds here in the city (except pigeons).

Mim said...

Looks like such a fun trip and it's great to see your journal

sandy said...

Love your bird sketches, (my favorite subject).

- A - C - said...

nice sketch. I always admire your talent in delivering the beauty of small creatures with a few strokes.

SandyCarlson said...

I hope the changes somehow benefit the wildlife, even if it isn't reported. What a great painting, though.

Unknown said...

what a gorgeous bird!

BT said...

I've come to you from Marianne. Lovely blog. Those Kiskadees look and I'm sure sound wonderful. Our birds are often rather dull by comparison but I still love them!

yoon see said...

I have a special feeling for bird and your bird painting is just too hard to resist.
Really beautiful and zen...feeling so calm:)

marianne said...

Sounds like a great day!
Love the journal page! Love this kind of handwriting!
The painting is beautiful, again a bird I don´t know!