Thursday, March 5, 2009

Texas Trip Day 4

Day four of our trip we began at Roma Bluffs. It has an overlook of the Rio Grande where you can look up and down river near some islands that birds frequent. I got a life bird here, Red-billed Pigeon. Yes, it wasn't an exotic looking bird but one I had never seen none the less.

In the gift shop at the visitor center they had some finger puppets that I love to collect. I first started collecting them for my Grands. However they didn't take to them as I had hoped so now I have had to fess-up about liking them myself. I got this cute little Gambles Quail. He was our mascot for the trip. The little Mexican town right across the river was just awakening when we arrived on the bluffs. We could hear what seemed to be a rooster for every house arousing at the same time. What a cacophony of sound with all the roosters announcing morning light. It made it feel like we were in another world since we never hear this where we live.

It was also a little unsettling to see the Border Patrol with their tower right beside the observation deck keeping an eye out for illegal crossings. Heck, there was a bridge not a half mile from where we stood. I don't know why they wouldn't just walk across if they wanted to. I don't know if there is a check point but we saw people going from one side to the other. Strange.

9 comments:

steviewren said...

You drew your hand really well. I'm always working on getting the proportions of mine right. Your journal is better than a scrapbook complete with photos for remembering the trip.

ArtistUnplugged said...

Nice hand drawing. Sounds fascinating. There has been increased warnings about the border in the past week, kidnappings, etc. So, be cautious! Sounds like you are really enjoying your trip. Love the on the road reports and paintings!

soulbrush said...

what a chocablock drawing. seesm strange, i agree.

Margaret Ann said...

I love reading about your adventures on this trip...and I am totally in love with that quail finger puppet!!! We have quail scurry around our yard every day...they are such a treat to watch...the little babies steal your heart! They are such a family oriented bird...my all time favorites!

Teri said...

Another great page and confession (lol). Those puppets sound adorable and as Margaret said, they run around here all the time.

As for the border, we are 90 miles away and it seems something is always in the news. I won't even venture over the border.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa, love the finger puppets of birds. I have similar ones that are stuffed animals that make the bird sound when squeezed. The grand plays a little with them, but not as much as I do! The border patrol thing is disconcerting. I guess if we lived there we would get used to it. Congrats on your new life bird too.
Frances

Q said...

I too collect finger puppets!
The quail is very cute...
I just love your travel journal...
Sherry

SandyCarlson said...

Great puppet!

marianne said...

Oh I have missed quite some posts here....
I came home Saturday, then went to a boat show Sunday and today I brought my Mom home for the day.
Now I am tired..... Just visiting some blogs and will go to bed.
This is a nice journal page! The hand is very well done! Hands are difficult....
So nice that I can join your trip now that you are home, strnage isn´t it? But nice!