Sunday, March 8, 2009

Texas Trip Day 5

A great way to start a day is to see a life bird. What I mean is that I saw a bird I had never before seen. This one is the most rare bird I saw on the trip. It is a Crimson-collared Grosbeak. It is a native of Mexico and rarely comes to the US and only has been seen in extreme South Texas to my knowlege.


While it was a female and usually females don't impress you as especially beautiful I found this one to be a beautiful bird. She blended in with her environment so well. She was eating the fruit from the Potato Trees. This is also a life plant. I have never noticed a Potato Tree before. It is a small shrub like tree. Very pretty growing in the understory of the trees.After getting my eyes full of this beauty we went on to a newly established State Park, Estero Llano Grande. It is a park that is really dedicated to wildlife. I know they all are but it seems like this park was created just for wildlife. No campers etc. There is a nice gift shop. They conduct guided walks several times per day. We don't often take these guided walks but when the gentleman mentioned he would show us a Pauraque I told my DB "Let's Go". The Common Pauraque is one of my favorite birds. THey are night-hunters so like owls they aren't seen very often unless you know where they are located. It always amazes me that they little darlings will choose a sleeping spot so close to a trail. You could walk right past them if you don't know where they are because they blend in to the forest floor. I want to do a picture of one when I have time.





Now I must get on with the day. I am a little frustrated because I have come to that brick wall in Blogger, full quota of pictures. Hmmmm I will have to figure out what to do. See you sometime soon.

12 comments:

Teri said...

What an exciting day! I never even heard of that particular grosbeak. Fascinating.

I don't understand your photos being full in Blogger. I have been posting since 2005 and have not encountered that. Now I need to go look.

is it because you have photos online with Picasa?

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Teri, I don't understand any of it. I don't understand how my pictures got into Picasa. I upload to my blog from my photo program. I guess they go from there to picasa then onto my blog. Crazy. I have a flicker account but I don't really know how to use it either.

Do you upload your pictures to that and then to your blog? Maybe that is how you avoided getting into the Picasa mess.

Q said...

Dear Lisa,
Both of these birds would be a "lifer" for me. So many plants in the LRGV were new to me. The poto plant sounds interesting.
Did your husband take photographs of the Crimson Collard Grosbeak?
I am going to do some research on both of these birds. Very cool drawing! I think you had a wonderful trip!
I used all of my bytes up last fall. I now pay a small fee every year.
Sherry

steviewren said...

Another nice page! Your travel journal is great. I would love to have kept a visual journal of some of my trips. You've inspired me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa, what a trip you have been on. Seeing these birds, plants and being in a warm locale while it is still wintry back home. I love hearing about your travels, thanks.
Frances

ps, wordpress!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Yes Sherry, DH took a couple of pictures but they turned out terrible. She was way back in a tangle and the lighting was dark.

Frances, I am glad you are enjoying my TX trip. I might have to resort to WP.

Lisa Rivas said...

Dearest Lisa this drawing, sketch, watercolor is fabulous. Your composition is very wonderful.
As a painting it would be incredible. Love how you have all this green, but clean and sparkly.
Beautiful and have a HCM and week!

yoon see said...

Lovely park and we all love pacing down and relaxing our mind this way. Thanks for sharing and the lovely painting:)
I can see your passio here Lisa:)

Margaret Ann said...

This is a beautiful and a lovely bird...striking color!!! Well done! :)

studio lolo said...

Wow, beautiful illustration spread! Woweeee!!

ArtPropelled said...

I love your illustrated travel journal. I'm inspired!

Now I'm worrying about this photo quota. It's the first I've heard of it. With the rate of exchange from S Africa I don't think I would be able to continue my blog if I have to pay

marianne said...

Lovely sketch! All these shades of green, and this special bird!
Pleas let me know how you solve this blogger problem with the pictures, as this will happen soon to me I fear...